If you want to score the best deals on holiday gifts, here are a few tips to get you ready for the “Black Friday” crowds.
- Set a spending limit. Focus on what you need and what you can afford.
- Do your homework. Check sales fliers online and get the Thanksgiving Day newspaper to see what deals are being offered at what times.
- Let someone else do your homework. Check popular savings sites like TotallyTarget.com and IHeartTheMart.com. They focus on the best sales at Target and Walmart.
- Score free gift cards. Some stores also offer free gift cards with purchase on popular electronics like iPods and video game consoles.
- Find shopping buddies. If you want to get items at more than one store, try using the “divide and conquer” method.
- Use technology. Sign up for emails and text messages from your favorite retailers so you’ll automatically be notified of special offers.
- Get rebates. Get cash back for online purchases by using sites like Ebates.com, FatWallet.com and Swagbucks.com.
- Use price matching. For the first time, Target is price matching online competitors Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy and Toys R Us. Save sales receipts in case you find a better price at a later date.