Ive been with my husband for around 15 years and he STILL DOESNT GET IT..lol....here are some tips for him and you this valentines day
1. Don't forget. I think that the worst thing I could do about Valentine's Day is forgetting all about it. Put it on your calendar in big red letters. And a few days before, make sure you put a reminder in your day planner or your PDA.
2. Don't buy kitchen appliances. Or anything else practical. Valentine's Day is supposed to be a little extravagant. A new blender is not—I repeat, is not—romantic. Whatever gift you choose should be nice and out of the ordinary.
3. Don't do the same thing you did last year. Even if it worked well, your partner will appreciate something new and different. She wants to know that you thought about her as you planned your Valentine's Day gift or event.
4. Don't give her lingerie. Now, I know the people at Victoria's Secret will not like this, but lingerie is a very dangerous gift. You can get the wrong size, which is a big problem. You can get the wrong color. But most importantly, when guys give lingerie they often have one thought in mind, and giving lingerie can really backfire. Just resist the temptation and be a little more creative.
5. Don't have unrealistic expectations. While your partner wants to be pampered, you also have to understand that her day is filled with many demands—kids, work, house, and more. Make sure you go the extra mile, but keep your expectations realistic and in check.
6. Don't overspend. Particularly if you share a bank account and a credit card with your sweetheart, breaking the bank is a bad idea. Keep within your budget and have the nicest evening you can afford. If it is too much, she'll likely be panicked about money and too stressed to have fun.
7. Don't talk about an ex. One of the surest ways to spoil a Valentine's Day evening is to have your partner think you are thinking about another woman. Don't talk about your former wife or girlfriend; keep the conversation focused on your woman and life will be better.
8. Don't give her a generic card. She will not be impressed with the nicest card from the local Hallmark if you just sign your name. Add a note about how much you love her, how much she means to you, and any other positive feelings you have. The personal part is what is romantic to her, not how much lace is on the card or how much you spent on it.
9. Don't do guy stuff. Your favorite NBA basketball team may be in town, or you may be tempted to take her to a sports bar for dinner. Just don't. This is her night, so stay away from the guy stuff, and put her first. You can always record or TIVO the televised game and watch it tomorrow.
10. Don't spend the night online. Too many of us tend to get in front of the computer late at night for gaming, chatting or other online stuff. For this one night, leave the computer off and focus on your woman. She will be grateful for your undivided attention.