KELLY CLARKSON PENNED A TUNE FOR ONE DIRECTION
Kelly Clarkson wrote a tune on One Direction’s hit album, Up All Night. So, how did this collab happen? Well, Mr. Simon Cowell set things up. He knows Kelly, as she won the first season of American Idol, and Cowell manages One Direction. The British music man asked Clarkson to contribute a song for the band’s disc and she told MTV News she had this tune “Tell Me a Lie” that didn’t fit on her latest effort, Stronger, but seemed like a good fit for the boy band’s album.
ONE DIRECTION TOWARDS 100-MILLION DOLLARS
U-K pop sensation One Direction is currently worth 50-million dollars, but their worth is expected to double in the coming year. MTV News reports that with the combination of world tour next year, a new album and a possible 3-D concert film in the works, they’ll be raking in the big bucks in 2013. But it’s not just the five guys in the band who are cashing the checks – they have about 90 people in their entourage that their success is supporting. Head to MTVNews.com for more.
KATY PERRY TALKS “WIDE AWAKE”
MTV is premiering Katy Perry’s “Wide Awake” music video tomorrow (6/19) at 7:53 PM Eastern. MTV News caught up with the pop singer, who said that fans can expect the new video to reflect the “journey of self-discovery” she’s been on this past year. You can check out the teaser trailer for the video over at MTV.com right now.
ADELE TALKS SEX APPEAL
Adele is not concerned with whether she is viewed as a sex symbol or not. All she cares about is affecting people through her music. It doesn’t seem like anyone else cares either, as her latest album, 21, just scored the top spot on the Billboard 200 album chart for its 24th non-consecutive week.
FACTS ABOUT ED SHEERAN
U-K native and major label newcomer Ed Sheeran is a quadruple threat. With five singles under his belt, last week, the singer, songwriter, rapper and producer released his debut full-length, + (pronounced: “plus”). Meanwhile, he’s tearing up the road on tour through the end of the year. For those unfamiliar with the internationally-acclaimed Sheeran, here are five things to know:
- · He loves chicken. After name-dropping international chicken chain Nando’s in a viral video with fellow Brit singer Example, Sheeran earned himself a Nando’s Black Card, which gets him free food there for life.
- · He’s a Lego master. Not only does Sheeran have a single called “Lego House,” but he also likes toying with the building blocks in his free time, too. He told PerezHilton.com that he usually makes a couple Lego figurines before his shows to give to fans.
- · He’s a philanthropist. Sheeran puts his music to work, having teamed up with U-K charities that benefit street workers and homeless shelters.
- · He’s a competitor. Canada’s MuchMusic reported that Sheeran played 312 concerts in 2009 out of determination to beat Jim Morrison’s record of 200 shows within a year.
- · He hangs with wizards. When Sheeran was casting for his “Lego House” music video, his sights were set on lookalike Rupert Grint. So he enlisted the help of his Twitter buddy, Tom Felton, who plays “Draco Malfoy” in the Harry Potter series to hook him up.
PAUL McCARTNEY IS 70
Today (6/18), Paul McCartney turns 70 years old. So does he feel his age? As he told us, nope.
“I think someone falsified my birth certificate. I really do. I think there was some dirty dealing way back. I think when we were in The Beatles I think I was probably about seven.”
Paul went on to explain why he thinks it is that he feels that way.
“I do do a bit of exercise but it’s not like heavy work out. I’m vegetarian, I don’t know, that might have something to do with it. So I feel pretty good in myself, I really don’t know if that’s to do with it. I have romance in my life, I think that’s a lot to do with it. That’s a good thing, a good woman. I feel really good. I feel very fit. I don’t know why particularly, but I just do.”
McCartney added that older folks in the music industry inspire him.
“I look at people like Quincy Jones, Quincy is amazing. I look at people like B.B. King, I look at a lot of my heroes and I think, ‘Man, they’re quite a bit older than me. How do they do it?’ And they do! They’ve got this energy, they’ve got this love of life, love of music. And I think music’s a big part of it.”
Get the latest on Paul at his website, PaulMcCartney.com.
- · TIDBIT: Paul is actually McCartney’s middle name. His first name is James.
RINGO STARR’S CHILDHOOD HOME SAVED FROM DEMOLITION
Ringo Starr’s childhood home in Liverpool has been saved from the wrecking ball. According to England’s Telegraph, the run-down three-bedroom house was marked for demolition but because the drummer lived there for three months as an infant, Beatles fans and some city residents successfully lobbied to save the home. While the National Trust of England did not feel the house merited saving because Ringo lived there so briefly, the Liverpool City Council has let it stay. Read all about it at Telegraph.co.uk.
- · TIDBIT: When ruling against saving the home, the National Trust of England said that they did not have the means to acquire the 12 plus houses where the Beatles lived as children.